Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker announced at his daily press conference that the stay-at-home order will be extended through May 31 due to concerns of the spread of COVID-19. The previous end date was originally April 30 but was pushed back because of how quickly COVID-19 could spread.
“I know how badly we all want our normal lives back,” Pritzker said. “But this is the part where we have to dig in and understand that the sacrifices we’ve made as a state to avoid a worst-case scenario are working — and we need to keep going a little while longer to finish the job.”
Pritzker also announced that all Illinois residents are now required to wear a mask in public spaces where they cannot maintain a six foot distance from other people. Masks are also required in indoor public spaces, such as grocery stores. This applies to Illinois residents who are medically able to wear a mask and are over the age of two.
Schools are able to make plans for students to pick up their belongings. Plans for Oswego High School students have not been announced at the time this article was written.
This announcement comes after hints from the Illinois government that not extending the stay-at-home order would be ill advised.
“I would expect an extension of the stay-at-home order and the other orders that were put in place as a result of the response to COVID-19 to go through sometime in May,” said Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot earlier this week. “It certainly could go into June.”
It is unknown as of now if this extension will impact Oswego’s prom and graduation dates, which are set to take place in late June.
Watch Pritzker’s press conferences here.